LASIk Self-Evaluation Test
LASIk Self-Evaluation Test
Ask Dr. Hersh
Hear From Our Patients LASIK
"Dr. Hersh and his staff were excellent. I would recommend the Cornea and Laser Eye Institute to anyone."
Luke Petitgout, Pro Athlete
New York Giants Football
Hear From Our Patients LASIK
LASIK Laser Eye Surgery New Jersey
The Most Advanced LASIK Technology
Team Ophthalmologist for New York Jets Football.
Congratulations to Dr. Peter Hersh for again being selected for "America's Top Doctors 2015". Inclusion for this special recognition is based on surveys of doctors nationwide.
Dr. Hersh is the only LASIK surgeon in New Jersey to be included in "AMERICA'S TOP DOCTORS", an honor which he has had for over 10 years running.
- Director, The Cornea and Laser Eye Institute - Hersh Vision Group
- Professor of Ophthalmology, Director of Cornea and Refractive Surgery, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
- Visiting Research Collaborator, Princeton University, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Has performed over 12,000 excimer laser LASIK, LASEK, and PRK procedures
- Over 15 years as a principal investigator for FDA studies of the excimer laser and other techniques
- Lead author of clinical study securing first U.S. FDA approval of laser for the correction of nearsightedness
- Extensive training and experience in all aspects of corneal and refractive surgery including LASIK, custom LASIK, Intralase, LASEK, PRK, CK, Intacs, PTK, and PKP
- Research in excimer laser clinical studies, computerized corneal mapping, and custom wavefront optical analysis
- Investigator of new femtosecond laser technology for refractive surgery
- Medical monitor of nationwide excimer laser study
- Teaches and lectures locally, nationally, and internationally
- Refractive Surgery (1999)
- Excimer Laser Surgery for Corneal Disorders (1998)
- Eye Trauma (1991)
- Ophthalmic Surgical Procedures (1989)
Papers/Book Contributions: More than 100 research articles and book chapters
For Dr. Hersh's selected bibliography of publications, click here
Memberships and Certifications:
- Board Certified, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Elected Member, American Ophthalmological Society
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Board of Governors, New Jersey Academy of Ophthalmology
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Cornea Society, Fellow
- American Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Research Director, New Jersey Eye Bank
- Member, American-European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery
Honors and Awards:
- Princeton University, Phi Beta Kappa
- Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Teacher of the Year
- New Jersey Monthly, Best Doctors in New Jersey
- New Jersey Life, Best Doctors in New Jersey
- New York Magazine, Best Doctors in New York
- Named to Best Doctors in America
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Honor Award
- Summit Technology, Inc., Pioneer in Refractive Surgery Award
- American Ophthalmological Society, Fellow
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Senior Honor and Achievement Award
Major In Depth Articles:
- Laser Vision Correction Introduction
- Original FDA Approval Study of Excimer Laser Vision Correction
- Individual Patient Outcomes after Laser Eye Surgery
- PRK vs LASIK Results
- LASIK Retreatments
- Corneal Optical Mapping in LASIK and PRK
- Conductive Keratoplasty (CK) for Farsightedness Study
- CK In Depth Study for Reading Vision - AOS Thesis
- CK to Correct LASIK Problems
- Excimer Laser PTK (Therapeutic Laser Corneal Surgery) Study
Peter S. Hersh, M.D.
A Princeton University graduate, Dr. Hersh received his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He completed his ophthalmology residency at Harvard Medical School where afterwards he received additional specialized fellowship training in corneal surgery. Dr. Hersh remained on the full-time faculty at Harvard until 1990. In 1995, he founded the Cornea and Laser Eye Institute - Hersh Vision Group, dedicated to clinical care and research in LASIK and corneal surgery. He founded the CLEI Center for Keratoconus in 2002, a subspecialty center dedicated to treatment and research in keratoconus. Currently, in addition to directing the Cornea and Laser Eye Institute, Dr. Hersh is a Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology and Director of the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Division at Rutger New Jersey Medical School, and Visiting Research Collaborator at Princeton University.
Dr. Hersh's interests are devoted exclusively to subspecialty corneal surgery including LASIK, custom LASIK, topography-guided LASIK, Intralase, LASEK, PRK, CK, Intacs, Keratoconus, corneal transplantation and other corneal, laser, and refractive surgery procedures. At Princeton, he works with the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering investigating laser applications to eye surgery and corneal biomechanics. Dr. Hersh has participated in many multicenter FDA clinical trials of excimer laser LASIK and other surgical corrections of nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, and keratoconus. Most prominently, he was lead author of the clinical study that led to first FDA approval of laser vision correction for the treatment of nearsightedness in the United States. He also was one of 2 investigators to present the Conductive Keratoplasty procedure to the FDA device panel. Currently, Dr. Hersh is U.S. medical monitor of the clincial trials of corneal collagen crosslinking for keratoconus, which recently led to FDA approval the procedure. He is also the only U.S. surgeon to be investigating a new treatment for nearsightedness and keratoconus. Dr. Hersh has been elected to the American Ophthalmological Society, the oldest and most prestigious eye surgery association in the country. He has also been awarded the Senior Honor Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology, an honor bestowed on fewer than 1% of eye surgeons.
As a result of his extensive clinical and research work, Dr. Hersh has published four textbooks and more than 100 research articles and book chapters. His widely used eye surgery textbook, Ophthalmic Surgical Procedures, first published in 1988, is now being rewritten for its 3rd Edition. His other books include Excimer Laser Surgery for Corneal Disorders, Refractive Surgery, and Eye Trauma. In addition, Dr. Hersh has designed a number of refractive surgery instruments in current use, most recently the Hersh Intralase LASIK Flap Spatula.
Dr. Hersh has trained over a thousand eye surgeons in excimer laser refractive surgery techniques, and is past recipient of the Teacher of the Year award bestowed by the Harvard Medical School Department of Ophthalmology. His extensive lecture schedule has taken him throughout the United States and to countries such as France, the Netherlands, China, Taiwan, India, Vietnam, Brazil, Chile, Venezuela, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Canada, and Korea. Moreover, he is actively involved in a number of international projects to bring education and eye care to developing countries.
Dr. Hersh has been selected for Best Doctors in America for over 10 years running, and he is the only LASIK and corneal surgery specialist to be listed in New York Magazine, New Jersey Monthly, and New Jersey Life as one of the top doctors in the New York metropolitan area. He and his work have also been featured by the Today Show, PBS, America Tonight,
Fox News, People Magazine, the New York Times, the Bergen Record, the Newark Star Ledger, and other national media. As a result of his philanthropic work, he was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship from Rotary International.
Dr. Hersh has a longstanding interest in sports eye injuries and was co-author of the book Eye Trauma. He is the Team Ophthalmologist for New York Jets Football.